Thursday, July 9, 2015

Cotswold poppy field



Yesterday evening I took a drive over to a local poppy field I'd had my eye on, to see if I could get a few photos at sunrise. I had originally intended to visit a different field, which was full of the things, and curved very nicely across the landscape, but the next time I visited it, it had been completely mown into oblivion. Thanks farmer!

So I took my second choice, and arrived about 8.30 to give me enough time to set up for what I hoped would be the evening performance. The field didn't have as many poppies in it as I'd hoped it would have, nothing like the year before, but I did what a I could, and got a series of images as the sun disappeared for the evening.


looking over some poppies under the setting sun between burford and stow on the wold
When I arrived the sun was just about to go into hiding behind a bank of clouds.


looking over some poppies under the setting sun between burford and stow on the wold
It never did come back out, but it produced a bit of colour in the sky anyway, which was good of it.

looking over some poppies under the setting sun between burford and stow on the wold
I took a long exposure of the drifting clouds. Most of the poppies were concentrated in the middle of the
field, which would have meant stomping over the crops to get to them, so I had to content myself with
the slim pickings available on the outskirts.

looking over some poppies under the setting sun between burford and stow on the wold
Some dramatic clouds to round off the evening.

So it wasn't an ideal spot, but some poppies are better then none I always say.

No comments:

Post a Comment